Wednesday, July 22, 2026

THE UNRAVELING OF JULIA by Lisa Scottoline


When I picked up
The Unraveling of Julia by Lisa Scottoline, I expected a straight psychological thriller. What I got was something more atmospheric and genre-blending: a young widow grappling with profound grief, a mysterious Tuscan inheritance, adoption secrets, and a healthy serving of the paranormal.


Julia Pritzker is still reeling from her husband’s brutal murder in a Philadelphia mugging when she receives shocking news—she’s inherited a crumbling villa and vineyard in Italy from a complete stranger, Emilia Rossi. As Julia travels to Tuscany to sort out the estate, she’s plagued by disturbing dreams, eerie feelings of being watched, ghostly apparitions, and visions that blur the line between hallucination and something more. Throw in a real estate conspiracy, hidden rooms, family mysteries, and possible blood ties to her benefactor, and the stage is set for a twisty, transportive read. 


What Worked for Me

The emotional core and human mystery are the book’s greatest strengths. Julia’s grief feels authentic and raw, and the adoption/inheritance storyline hooked me immediately. The Italian setting is vividly drawn (food, landscapes, culture), providing a welcome escape while the suspense builds. Once the real threats—stalking, drugging, and a dangerous conspiracy—kick in, the thriller aspects deliver solid tension and satisfying revelations. The later sections tie up the human plotlines effectively, and I appreciated how Scottoline explores themes of fate, intuition, family, and empowerment.


A key turning point for me was the revelation around the drugging, which offered a rational explanation for some of the early “supernatural” sightings and hallucinations. From there, the story felt more grounded as a suspense novel, with Julia’s emerging psychic abilities adding an interesting (if unconventional) layer rather than pure creepiness.


What Didn’t Work as Well

I’ll be honest: the supernatural/paranormal elements were a mixed bag and nearly sent the book to my DNF pile early on. If you’re not a fan of ghosts, apparitions slipping through walls, blue auras, or spiritual interventions, they can feel jarring in what starts as a psychological thriller. While some of it serves the plot (guiding discoveries and protection), it occasionally pulled me out of the story. I preferred the subtler psychic intuition over the more overt gothic moments.


Final Thoughts

The Unraveling of Julia is bold and ambitious—Scottoline ventures into new territory with spiritual thriller vibes while keeping her signature character-driven suspense. It’s not a pure legal thriller like some of her earlier work, but if you can embrace (or tolerate) the paranormal alongside strong themes of grief, identity, and female resilience, there’s a lot to enjoy. By the end, the human drama and resolutions won me over enough to round up to 3.5 stars.


Would I recommend it? Yes, with caveats. Skip it if heavy supernatural elements are a hard no. Otherwise, it’s an atmospheric, twisty ride perfect for fans of authors like Ruth Ware or those who enjoy a touch of the mystical in their thrillers.


Have you read it? What did you think of the balance between the mystery and the spiritual aspects?

Rating:  (3.5/5) ⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE UNRAVELING OF JULIA by Lisa Scottoline

When I picked up The Unraveling of Julia by Lisa Scottoline , I expected a straight psychological thriller. What I got was something more at...